Another positive of strengthening the muscles is greater stability of the joints, especially in the lower limbs, which are the most stressed by the load of body weight. Anaerobic activity, performed with a free body or with weights, must also be done gradually and under the supervision of an expert to avoid damage to the musculoskeletal system and undue effort on your body.
Also in this case of rewards for consistency, good training must include at least 2 sessions per week with the amount of exercises suitable for your strength.
Anaerobic physical activity should be preceded and followed by warm-up and stretching exercises.
All the rules to keep in mind
Before starting any physical activity, it is best to have a medical-sports examination.
Avoid activities with a strong impact on the joints (at a certain age, even running), which can put excessive stress on the joints; give preference to sports such as swimming, cycling and walking, and remember that land sports are the only ones capable of promoting calcium metabolism and counteracting osteoporosis.
If you are out of training, do aerobic activity at a low intensity first and then try to gradually get to an adequate intensity for optimal fat burning.
Initially, schedule small 10-minute sessions that can be interspersed with short breaks. Then gradually increase the duration of aerobic exercise by continuing continuously for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and so on until you reach your training state without causing too much difficulty.
- Include some stretching exercises to improve your flexibility, but avoid doing it yourself, stretching muscles and tendons must be taught by an expert.
- If the exercises are not performed correctly, they can cause strain and other damage to the joints.
- Muscle-strengthening exercises, as well as increasing basal metabolic rate, can generally increase muscle mass in young people and tone, making them stronger and more durable in older people.
- Avoid exercising during the hottest hours of the day in summer or in excessively humid or cold environments in winter;
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day and make sure you drink small amounts often during training.
Choose the right equipment and clothing. When walking or jogging, choose flat surfaces with appropriate footwear to avoid muscle inflammation or pain.
If you ride a bike, wear a helmet.
Don’t limit yourself to sitting in the gym or playing sports every day: use every opportunity to move. Combine exercise with a balanced diet that is rich in water, fiber and nutrients in balance. For reduction diets, rely on a nutritionist. If you want to know how many calories you need to take in a day and receive a personalized menu, use our free service by clicking here.
Very often, those who practice physical activity two or three times a week feel entitled to drink (eg wine, beer, other alcohol) and eat what they want, in the amount they want most. How many times have we heard friends or family members say, “I spent three hours at the gym today, now I can eat and drink whatever I want without getting fat!” or, “I can eat whatever I want, so I can go for a run”?