Ideas fuel innovation and phenomenal growth. These ideas can come from inside and outside the company. Organizations that value holistic progress understand how vital each person in the company is in the process of acquiring and executing ideas.
Different perspectives in approaching problems and opportunities can provide a diverse range of valuable solutions and results. These ideas, when managed strategically, can pave the way for innovative developments.
Because of this, many companies are looking for idea management systems that provide calculated processes that help bring innovative ideas to life. In this article, we will define what an idea management system is and what makes it beneficial for companies. We will also cover the process of successful implementation within organizations.
What is idea management?
As the term suggests, idea management refers to the process a company uses to generate, select, collaborate and organize ideas.
Managing ideas in a structured way refines their business value. This also provides a constant flow of ideas. Idea management needs to be done continuously to achieve sustainable growth, and it works best when accompanied by a tool that makes the whole process faster and easier.
What is an Idea Management System (IMS)?
An idea management system is a type of technology that speeds up the idea generation process. It manages an organization’s flow of insights and ranks them according to their level of feasibility.
Benefits of using an idea management system
Using an IMS has three major benefits:
1. The number and quality of ideas are improved.
Employees feel valued when they understand how valuable their insights are to the company. As this happens, they are encouraged to creatively approach problems and opportunities and share their ideas and feedback with the organization.
2. Collaboration is encouraged.
Everyone can comment and contribute their insights to refine each other’s ideas, regardless of their difference in experience and experience.
3. Progress is tracked.
Because inclusion is encouraged by the integration of the IMS into the organization, each team member is able to evaluate ideas and see where submitted projects are headed. Progress is tracked and winning ideas are recognized, increasing participation and enthusiasm.
General characteristics of an idea management system
An effective idea management system has features that speed up the processes involved in idea management.
These features include:
Idea gathering methods: Organizations need to find a way for their members to contribute ideas with confidence and ease. These methods must be adapted according to your preferences and needs.
Campaign Establishment: An idea management system should enable companies to establish campaigns for a variety of business objectives, such as generating ideas with substantial business value.
Idea evaluation: Companies must be able to evaluate ideas and campaigns through numerical scales and custom criteria.
Smooth collaboration processes: Everyone on the team should be able to provide their feedback.
Project Management: Businesses need to store ideas for future use and convey instructions or messages seamlessly.
Idea management software
Companies can use idea management software like Accept Mission to smoothly embed idea management systems into the business.
With this, your team can:
Set up digital brainstorming sessions
Encourage members to contribute ideas through campaigns
Increase member engagement and creativity
Run mind mapping processes
Select the best ideas through a custom criteria system
Manage innovation projects
But more importantly, using idea management software enhances all the capabilities of an IMS.
For example, Accept Mission is idea management software with additional features such as:
- Features gamification elements to drive engagement and boost creativity levels such as leaderboards, undercover mode, experience points, and countdown timers
- Allows organizations to create “inboxes” with specific themes, issues and questions that members can use to share their ideas whenever inspiration strikes (even anonymously)
- Enables categorization of ideas through drag and drop movements
- It includes having a backtrail, storing innovation projects, qualifying and evaluating ideas, and helping decision makers choose the best ones.
- It has an integrated portfolio management tool that assists innovation managers from roadmap to solution delivery
- Enables live digital collaboration through “Whiteboards”
- Offers advanced idea selection capabilities through target scores, personal results, inbox integration, bullet chart result, export for deeper analysis, and custom criteria